23 August 2010

Octopus Balls and Ice Cream

I went to a mall close to my apartment with a friend for some lunch the other day. We decided on a restaurant that is a combination of both Thai and Japanese. I was having a picky day but wanted to try something new as an appetizer (although the gyoza was calling my name). I found octopus balls on the menu! I like octopus and this appetizer was octopus bits fried up in a ball (my dad compared them to conch fritters when I described them if that helps give you an idea). They had this delicious sauce drizzled over them that was some sort of Japanese sesame sauce or something. It was so good!! I didn't even use the soy sauce for dipping since it had that creamy sauce on them. I loved it! I could literally drink that sauce...or use it as a salad dressing. YUM!
For my meal, I went with fried rice because I can't seem to get used to the unusual broth that comes with Thai noodles and that was primarily the whole menu. The fried rice was good - better than in America and I loaded it up with soy sauce which made it even more tasty. They served it with ginger on the side, I'm not sure what I was supposed to do with this but on my plate it served as decoration primarily.
Then the fat American kid that lives inside of me was calling out as we walked past Swensen's, an ice cream shop. After we walked around a bit longer we decided to stop in for one scoop of ice cream.
Well, needless to say, I went in for one scoop and ended up ordering this...
A two-tone brownie sundae. It was AMAZING! I have no idea how many scoops of ice cream they put in there or even what kind it was but there were pieces of heavenly brownies that were half vanilla, half chocolate, chocolate chips, chocolate syrup and two hidden banana chunks at the bottom! No idea how many calories it was, nor do I want to know, but it was the perfect ending to a perfect day of FOOD!

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of gyoza, Daniel's mom made it for us on Sunday night and it was soooo good. It was my first time and it immediately became a necessity in my diet. Haha...it looks like you're having fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luba, I'm completely obsessed with it. I could eat it every day of my life!!! In fact, I had that and octopus balls tonight. What can I say? When I find one thing I really like I latch on. I am having fun, aside from food poisoning, and the homesickness. Thanks for reading :)! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete