17 August 2010

Backpackers, Beer, and Bugs

Two nights ago I found myself at my love of Bangkok, Khaosan Road, for some beer and pizza. I was really excited to go back there - I fell in love with it when I was here last time. We had some delicious, very cheesy pizza. I've been craving cheese a lot since being here because not only is it not abundant but it's also expensive because they have to import it. My friend is a vegetarian so we had a delicious veggie pizza, garlic bread with cheese and Singha. The garlic bread was much different than in America and that really wasn't that great.

After dinner, we walked actually on Khaosan Road and went to Hippie Bar. That place had a really awesome atmosphere and we sat inside where it was nice and cool. I saw on the menu the Shee Va Wop that I'd tried last time I visited Bangkok in November 2009. It's a light rum that they make here, I believe. I am dying to have it again because it's so light you can drink it straight. Very good flavor. After having a couple of beers, everyone stopped for some street food and I had one thing on my mind: BUGS!

They sell bugs on Khaosan Road and last year I was too scared to try them and regretted it. I mena, what's the worst that could happen? It's protein at least! I got an assortment of grasshoppers, ants, and bamboo worm or larvae or something in between. I tried the grasshopper first and had a very timid small bite...it wasn't bad at all. They put soy sauce or something on it so it had some flavor. I ate most of the grasshopper but couldn't bare to eat the legs or the head. Next we tried the ants. They had lemongrass flavoring and had an overwhelming taste of lemon. I didn't really like them very much but had two big handfuls to try. Not my favorite. The best of these three were the bamboo worms or whatever they were. They were delicious! I know that sounds crazy but I ate several. They were juicy and very good. These also had that soy sauce on them. So, I ate bugs! I had lots of funny pictures documenting this but lost my camera already so I will just have to try the scorpions next time and take more pictures.

It was interesting that everyone in line for bugs was Western. Everyone wanted to try some bugs! Definitely a once in a lifetime thing and I'm glad I was brave enough to do it!

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you ate bugs. If I remember correctly, you didn't even eat turkey at Thanksgiving. Now you eat bugs?? You must be embracing the Thai life!

    P.S. - I'm super sad about the camera. :( I like documenting everything! And I liked when you did as well.

    ReplyDelete