13 August 2010

Bangkok: Expect the Unexpected

I've been so busy it's been difficult to write any blogs. This one will be quite long to update on everything that has happened! I had my very successful going away party the week before I left and got to say goodbye to some amazing friends who I will miss dearly. I had a great time and was honored with how many people showed up! I had a good weekend before leaving which included the pandas at the Atlanta Zoo (gosh they are so adorable!), the Braves (even though they lost I got to see Chipper and the rest of my team before leaving the country), and the lake! I'll miss the Nashville lakes a lot! The water here in Bangkok is scary - no telling what is in there :).

I got an email from the school I'm attending about 4 days before leaving and they told me they cancelled my class. After a mild freak out, everything worked out and I start that same school here on September 6, which means I'm on vacation until then! I plan on taking the time to figure out my way around Bangkok and get lost a few more times. As my dad keeps telling me, as far as Bangkok is concerned - expect the unexpected! So true.

I was able to fit everything into my 3 suitcases and my 2 big carry ons on Tuesday morning the 10th when I left Nashville. I had some tearful goodbyes and it was really hard telling my mom bye and knowing I wouldn't see her for a while. My parents are so supportive and so far Skype has really helped me feel a little less homesick.

I boarded my first plane from BNA in Nashville and was flying standby, so the fact that I got on the LAST seat was quite amazing. Then after a few hours we arrived in Salt Lake City then went on to Seattle. I really recommend flying from that area because the flight to Tokyo was only a little over 9 hours. I also got to fly first class which was pretty amazing. As soon as I boarded the plane I was welcomed with champagne. No complaints here! The food and wine are also much better up there! Then when I arrived in Tokyo we were shuffled around quite a bit and had a 3 hour delay! I finally arrived in Bangkok around 3 AM and was welcomed by my first friend. It was so kind of her to wait until I got there and to still pick me up at 3 AM! Very sweet. It was also nice seeing her fleur de lis on her UL shirt! I love people from Louisiana!!!! :)

It was interesting trying to get all of my baggage to the car. We took an uphill moving escalator type thing - minus the stairs and with a couple hundred pounds of luggage this was hilarious. The luggage was so heavy that we all had to hold on to it as we went up the flat escalator to keep it from rolling back and taking us down with it! So funny!

Her and her nice Scottish friend drove me to my hotel and I got all checked in. I love this hotel! It is very funky and artistic, and for the most part quiet.

This is in my room. It's a tree painted on the wall where everyone who has stayed here leaves Post-it notes. So cool!!!

I didn't sleep much but was able to Skype my parents and say hello. I then slept for only a couple of hours.

Breakfast the next morning was DELISH!! I had scrambled eggs (not very Thai, right?), fresh fruit (the fruit tastes so much better in Thailand), and some delicious juice and coffee. Then I went out for a walk to the BTS to meet a writer. She writes several great articles on Thailand and has been a mentor to me even before I got here (she writes on Associated Content, Cassandra James. If you're interested in learning about TEFL in Bangkok - read her stuff! Very informative and honest!). She took me to my apartment building to pick out a room and even told me which side of the building was better. She was great! She took me to the supermarket here, showed me around a lot and took me to lunch. I had a great time. We also had some delicious coffee. She made me feel so much better about being here and assured me the homesickness wouldn't last long. After all, she hasn't returned the US in 4 years!

It was a Thai holiday here yesterday. It was mother's day which is the Queen's birthday. The Royal Family is VERY important in Thai culture and you could see evidence of this everywhere yesterday. In the mall there were stalls set up everywhere selling items with the royal insignia which people here just love to buy! There was a giant, very old picture of the King and Queen inside the Central Ladprao mall which was amazing to look at. Around Victory Monument, they strung lights to honor the Queen also and it was GORGEOUS at night!

Then I met my Louisiana friend at her apartment. This is where I met another guy from Louisiana. He actually went to a rival high school which was funny. He has a sweet Thai girlfriend who was trying to help me practice some Thai phrases. We all 4 took a taxi to dinner and shared LOTS of Thai food and a giant thing of Chang beer.

My favorite food at dinner? Yum Bpah Dook Foo...it was a fluffy catfish that was fried with a mango salad type thing on top. DELICIOUS!!! I tried not to let the catfish head staring at me affect the taste of the food haha, and it definitely didn't! The jet lag started to catch up with me at this point so I took a taxi back to my hotel for some much needed sleep.

Now it is 7 am here in Bangkok and I am wide awake and have been since about 5. I check out of my hotel here in a few hours and then move into my apartment! I think a trip to a market to get some local decor will be needed to make it feel a little like home. Wish me luck!

This morning, August 13, a rainy Bangkok morning!

1 comment:

  1. Good story. Keep up the pictures!! I like to see pictures of everything, especially the food! :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete