10 June 2010

Thailand...or Taiwan?

Now to throw even more confusion into all of this, I had formed a backup plan to going to Thailand (due to political turmoil). The second country on my list to travel to was Taiwan. I chose Taiwan mainly because it is an island and the weather doesn't seem to get below 55 (which is actually even colder than I'd like!). So I began researching Taiwan and a really good school there, HESS.

HESS is a free school that has a very rigorous application and interview process but if they like you, they offer you a one year contract somewhere in Taiwan. You have options for different contracts based on the amount of hours and age groups you would like to work with. I definitely want to work with little kids...I think. I guess that's not definite :).

The good thing about this school is you have a constant support system around you and since I am going alone, that is really important to me. They pick you up at the airport and pay for your hotel accommodations while in training. The training programs are all free (there is even a course on culture shock). There is a big difference between this program and Text and Talk in Thailand, they do not give you your TEFL certificate until your one year is up.

I have already completed the online applications and paperwork and had my telephone interview last night. It went really well and got me really interested in HESS. The lady I spoke with had been through the program herself and gave me some great advice. My favorite piece of advice was that you might not realize how slowly you have to speak or how much you have to tone down your language and word usage - especially with the younger children. This is something I never would have thought of and I'm so glad she gave me this advice, among other things.

I'm now incredibly confused because my heart was set on Thailand but now I'm realizing just how great this school in Taiwan is. I feel torn. But I can't jump the gun, I haven't even received a job offer from HESS but today I began hardcore Taiwan research. Hopefully, my heart will lead the way, but as of now it still wants to see me in Bangkok.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment