29 June 2010

Culture Shock in Bangkok

41 days until I leave for Bangkok! It's starting to get so close!! I spend a good bit of my time researching Thailand, trying to learn any Thai whatsoever, and just generally researching my future home. 

I have been to Thailand but it is definitely still going to be quite the culture shock for me. I foresee the fact that I'm a germ-a-phobe being my first hurdle to overcome. When I was in Bangkok, I would regularly see rice piled on top of chicken on top of sauce on top of noodles. Everything just mixed together. That probably wouldn't be a problem for a normal person but with my germ-a-phobic food tendencies it isn't how I would choose to eat. I am hoping to completely overcome this problem with a year in Bangkok. I'd also like to overcome my fear of all non-Western bathrooms but I think we should start with baby steps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment