12 September 2010

TEFL School: Week One

Well, I finally started school to get my TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate this week. I was very reluctant to start school, didn't want to at all but knew that I had to. I was dreading it because it's 90% public speaking which makes my stomach turn. However, I had to suck it up and go to class on Monday.

I decided to try and change myself completely for this situation. I mean, I'm in Thailand. What do I have to lose? So when our teacher asked about 5 minutes into class for a volunteer for some unknown assignment, I raised my hand. Something I'd NEVER EVER EVER do in America. It ended up being really easy and was a nice way to break the ice. We did that and then did some basic school work that day, but we also got our first assignment that was due on Wednesday: a 10 minute presentation on anything. I chose SEC football, the love of my life. I actually contemplated not going to class on Wednesday because I was so nauseous about it. Even though I was terrified, I went to class and volunteered second. My teacher told me that I speak entirely too fast, which I already knew, and that he was scared because I never took any breaths. Typical me. Basically the rest of the week after that presentation made me feel better. It was all downhill from there.

My class is amazing though. I really love the people in it! There were 18 of us to start (although one guy dropped out). There are only 3 females, which is interesting. This is probably because men tend to come to Thailand for the women so I guess I should expect to be outnumbered. We have SO many different countries represented, it is absurd! There is an English guy that was born in Africa, an Australian, a guy from New Zealand, a few Americans (one is a Florida Gators fan, don't get me started), a girl from Scotland, a guy from Wales, a guy from India, a couple of guys from Singapore, a guy originally from the Ukraine who has been living in the US, two French guys, and I believe that is all, although I've probably forgotten a country. It is amazing being in a room for the same reason with all those different people. I LOVE IT! Our teacher is also from South Africa, and his accent reminds me of Matt Damon from Invictus! It's amazing though and I love every minute of learning from all these different cultures and backgrounds. Everyone is generally pretty hilarious too. Being in a room with all that testosterone brings up talk of prostitutes, ladyboys, drugs, and alcohol but it is all generally in good fun and gets us all laughing.

Well, unfortunately, I have less time for blog writing since we have weekly presentations and tests and I have one tomorrow. I have no idea what it is over so I'm hoping I do well. I will try to update about school and the fun things I get to do on the weekends as much as I can, but I promise I won't neglect my blog too much! :) After all, just going to class every day with so many different people is an adventure.

(Note: the picture is just a woman walking down my soi. I thought she was pretty cool.)

No comments:

Post a Comment