02 September 2010

Food, Food, Food!


Another thing on my list of things I wanted to try while in Bangkok was one of these little mini coconuts you see everywhere. They chop the top off, rip some of the meat back and stick a straw in it! (I'd seen them on numerous travel shows before coming and only heard great things about them) One of my friends was sweet enough to treat me to one of these little coconuts one day while we were walking around. It was pretty good, definitely different than a regular coconut - much more flavorful. I was disappointed, having heard how amazing they were, but it was still pretty good. I will definitely be having one again. My friend is an expert at eating the meat but I don't really like the texture of rubber so after trying a few bites, I decided the meat wasn't for me.

Next stop was shopping, she was looking for a watch and I got to see a mall I hadn't seen before but then it was off to dinner (my favorite time of the day). We went to a little restaurant that I'm not even sure how to describe...maybe Thai American? Anyways, it was really good. Our appetizer was hummus with pita bread and a couple of other dippings. Only thing was when she brought our pita and two other dippings there was no hummus. She failed to tell us when we ordered that they were out so this was our appetizer: pita bread, some white sauce stuff that I can't pronounce the name of but LOVED, and crushed up eggplants with seasonings...It was really good despite not having what we ordered. Typical Thailand.

For my meal, I ordered this deliciousness, a doner kebab. It had that same white sauce we used to dip the pita bread in and had chicken that was cooked on a kebab prior to being put in my sandwich, lettuce, and tomatoes and was inside the pita bread. It was sooo good...and so messy. But I loved every bite of it!
One thing that made it ok that my food was so insanely messy? We got ONE actual Western napkin! How glorious is that? Now that might not seem like such a big deal to those of you using your paper towel rolls in America but here in Thailand we get one measly thing that compares to one small square of paper towel. Thus, this was a giant improvement and actually pretty exciting for us. We even took a picture!
It's a beautiful thing. After this we walked around some more and ended up at an Australian bar that was pretty fun. We watched rugby and (gasp!) the Green Bay Packers game came on so I got to see Mr. Matt Flynn play QB. I was quite content. We were also hungry again so we ordered some food. This time I had crocodile. I'd love to show you the picture of the crocodile that made me incredibly sick but it didn't turn out very well. It came on a plate with peppers on a kebab, and with lots of bbq type sauce covering it. The sauce itself was very spicy and had a great flavor! The crocodile? Very tough (similar to alligator I suppose). It was an interesting night full of delicious FOOD!

1 comment: